North East Ride tomorrow morning, Sunday 15th April

Popeye

New member
I'm cranking up the 748 for the first time this year and want to blow it's cobwebs out.

I have until 13.00 to enjoy myself, afterwhich family duties resume.

Anyone want to meet up for a ride?
 
Would love to ...... but sorry I can't. Family duties of my own, son no.1 is playing rugby at Corbridge in the morning.

Any other time Geoff - what you doing on May 6? Fancy a run down to Thirsk?
 
Would love to ...... but sorry I can't. Family duties of my own, son no.1 is playing rugby at Corbridge in the morning.

Any other time Geoff - what you doing on May 6? Fancy a run down to Thirsk?

May 6th?

I have no idea :D

What's on in Thirsk?
 
Um, it's a kinda DuN/DSC joint meet up thing that me 'n Ray are organising.

If nobody from uphere North fancies riding down with me I'm just going to blast down the A1, otherwise I'm looking for a reasonable route
 
we'll be out but later in the afternoon, we're off mountain biking first thing then intend to head out probably north, maybe Moffat or the Glen Cafe.
 
I'm cranking up the 748 for the first time this year and want to blow it's cobwebs out.

I have until 13.00 to enjoy myself, afterwhich family duties resume.

Anyone want to meet up for a ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye
I'm cranking up the 748 for the first time this year and want to blow it's cobwebs out.

I have until 13.00 to enjoy myself, afterwhich family duties resume.

Anyone want to meet up for a ride?


maybeeeee

where were you thinking of
Stay tuned, there may be a cunning plan being hatched,;)
 
I'm planning on being out of the house at 8.

Head to ponty land. Head to Scotland. Head to Cumbria. Head to Northumberland. Head home for 13.00.


A696 to Otterburn. Circuit of Kielder. Head to Carter Bar. Head to Hawick. Head to Alston. Head home.

If anyone, wants to meet I'll call at the roundabout at the end of the A69/A1 at 08.15-08.30 before heading off :)

This thread is posted on other sites so the numbers attending is yet to be confirmed :)
 
I'm planning on being out of the house at 8.

Head to ponty land. Head to Scotland. Head to Cumbria. Head to Northumberland. Head home for 13.00.


A696 to Otterburn. Circuit of Kielder. Head to Carter Bar. Head to Hawick. Head to Alston. Head home.

If anyone, wants to meet I'll call at the roundabout at the end of the A69/A1 at 08.15-08.30 before heading off :)

This thread is posted on other sites so the numbers attending is yet to be confirmed :)

Jeez - Im just oot me pit
Doing a similar route - might see you out there
 
Um, it's a kinda DuN/DSC joint meet up thing that me 'n Ray are organising.

If nobody from uphere North fancies riding down with me I'm just going to blast down the A1, otherwise I'm looking for a reasonable route


Nimue,
I'm newbie here. Would like to come along for the Thirsk meet. I live near Castle Howard on the A64.
 
Nimue,
I'm newbie here. Would like to come along for the Thirsk meet. I live near Castle Howard on the A64.
Woohoo, brill!

I reckon your best bet will be to meet up with Ray at Squires at Sherburn in Elmet, it'll be nearer to you. Everyone welcome, don't think that just because it's a 'DSC' meet that they'll turn you away! Otherwise, coz it is a bit out of your way, come straight up to Thirsk if you like.

See you in May
 
Woohoo, brill!

I reckon your best bet will be to meet up with Ray at Squires at Sherburn in Elmet, it'll be nearer to you. Everyone welcome, don't think that just because it's a 'DSC' meet that they'll turn you away! Otherwise, coz it is a bit out of your way, come straight up to Thirsk if you like.

See you in May

Thanks Nimue, 'll do that. Spotted your other thread now so will go post there from now on. See you in May!
 
Im sure Kdb will be along to tell me where we really went but....
Ended up going Kielder, Jedbo, Hawick, Selkirk, Kelso &
Ended up in Eyemouth for lunch - cut off the A1 & through Etal, Wooler & Rothbury then Elsdon, Otterburn Bellingham & home. Badger bait beat us back & I had to buy him a pint - Bugger!!
 
Im sure Kdb will be along to tell me where we really went but....
Ended up going Kielder, Jedbo, Hawick, Selkirk, Kelso &
Ended up in Eyemouth for lunch - cut off the A1 & through Etal, Wooler & Rothbury then Elsdon, Otterburn Bellingham & home. Badger bait beat us back & I had to buy him a pint - Bugger!!
Yes that was the run but after Kelso,we went Eccls,Coldsreem,Duns,Grantshouse,Ayton,Then Eyemouth after Eyemouth Chirnside,Paxton,Berwick,then on through Ford and Etal to Wooler,etc great run, great weather,knackered :D also met Scotty on my way home as he was heading south in Jedburgh.
 
ahh yes its, amaizing who you meet oot and about id reel of a list of places we went through but ive no idea where ive been somewhere past keilderwater and visited the rosylin chapel carpark (uh the 'we' im on about was loueye and some lunes from consett a day full of 'questionable' manouvers)
 
Pity I didn't meet any of you.

Enjoyed a full ride out.

Was sat in Ponteland waiting for bods when 3 lads passed on gsxr1000's and an R1 so I tagged on the end and followed them.

They turned off the 696 and headed for chollerford. Stopped for a coffee at the cafe there, then headed to Kielder castle for a luuuusssh bacon butty.

Then off up into scotchland.

Did anyone else meet up with Lothian and Borders police in their new drive to reduce accidents?

Hats off to 'em. I'll be e-mailing whoever I can there to say so too.

We were flagged down "for a chat." Illegal pipes, visors and reg plates a plenty, but all they wanted to do was chat to us about watching ourselves, reminded us to think of our families, pointed out a fatal accident last Friday and handed out free sidestand pucks and leaflets showing a couple of recommended bike routes ("trails") through the Borders, with details of accidents on certain bends and areas to be careful. They pointed out roads which had been noted as becoming holed over the winter and where the council had simply thrown gravel around in an illadvised attempt at repair. They were very critical of this approach too, in view of the hazard it posed to bikes.

The two plod were happily enjoying their icecreams while we chatted (having had to pull the icecream van to get him to stop :) ) and couldn't have been nicer.

They pointed out that aggressive policing and ticketing hadn't worked and that this new approach was being tried.

I really hope it works. They should be commended for trying.
 
Re the police. I had a similar attitude shown to me by North Yorkshire's finest yesterday. He did say that he had dished out a few tickets on the day but was helpful, instructive and knowledgeable. Concerned by the recent accident stats - 7 have died already this "season", NYP are keen to see us out there and not keen to see us going down. Very reasonable I do concede. Told me about my number plate (which has full size digits but too small a border), the fact I had no reflector (?) and the lack of "Ducati" or "Kitemark" stamp on the cans. But he noticed the noise (?) and conceded that it WAS a Duke. :D He also told me to tell my two mates (who had moved on out of the way) about their small(ish) plates and one noisy pipe, but overall he was positive to us. He didn't mention anything relating to speed, power or rider skills/hooligan behaviour etc. and was very chatty. I can support this approach, it moderated my riding for the rest of the day and will be borne in mind all year now. Just off to get a new plate made up, reflector put on, etc etc.
 
Told me about my number plate (which has full size digits but too small a border)........ Just off to get a new plate made up, reflector put on, etc etc.

I had a similar experience a couple of years ago as I have/had full size digits correctly spaced. I was politely informed that I had been stopped for a safety chat as I would be aware the force were doing this exercise locally. I wasn't local and it appeared more to be an excuse to check cans etc. (I had actually put the road cans on for that trip but taken them off again:) ).
I was informed that the plate had been cut down and although digits were full size the plate technically was too small. I politely advised him that I was aware the plate was reduced in size and was it causing a problem from a "safety" point of view or were they having a problem reading it. He said no they were not but just thought I should be aware of it. I said thank you for pointing this out to me and we both went off on our merry ways.
Interestingly the "size" of plate specification has now changed. It used to be 9X7 for 7 digits and 8X6 (from memory) for a 6 digit number plate.
This has now changed and if you check it out it gives you a border of 11mm. attached may be of interest. http://www.personallyyours.co.uk/number-plates-numberplates.htm
 
And watch out for non display of the plate maker and postcode and lack of BS standard info, both are required !!

Full size plate, no number modifications, as inoffensive can as possible, tax disc on display usually reduce chances of a stop and a chat :)
 
And I wonder what ratio of car drivers get their plates checked in relation to bikes?


it doesn't matter Stewart, far too much time is spent complaining about how other user groups get a different treatment but the reason we get targeted is down to stats, so far this month in Cumbria we've had 5 motorcyclists killed, 1 every 3 days!. The police are under pressure to reduce that and they'll use whatever tactics they can to do so, a number plate is an excuse for a stop and a safety chat just like Pete had, yes, its discrimination but its not going away so all we can do is work around it, put a legal plate on, road legal cans, reduce the things they can nick you for and try and ride safely. Pete was lucky he wasn't one of those stats or the cause of one last week and I think probably had far more understanding than many of us would given the circumstances and like he said it did make him consider his riding. I doubt stopping a burger flipper in a souped up Corsa would have had as much effect so it is effective policing.


There are plenty of other groups who can really tell you about discrimination if you want to compare notes....
 
Michael, sorry if comment appeared flippant as I do take safety seriously.
My only issue with the reason for stopping a bike because of a slightly small plate is that if the Police want to be taken seriously by the biking fraternity then they should stop ALL the pretence and stop bikes and tell the rider they have been stopped to make them aware of this is a dangerous stretch of road etc, the area has had a rash of bad accidents lately, they are riding poorly or even they have been riding in a responsible manner and praise the rider(s)! By all means stop them and make them aware of Bikesafe/advanced rider courses or whatever but I feel this would make much more of a contribution to road safety and would stop a lot of the sniping in MCN etc. Praise (like politeness) gets you far further and quicker in life than lecturing.
As far as discrimination is concerned (warning - this IS a flippant comment!!) North of the border we are well used to discrimination!..:D
 
I might be wrong on this but I think the maker & postcode on the plates only applies to vehicles with the new type number plates ie DU07 CAT so if you have a new plate made up for the older type number letter combo it does not need postcode/maker to be on.
 
Michael, sorry if comment appeared flippant as I do take safety seriously.
My only issue with the reason for stopping a bike because of a slightly small plate is that if the Police want to be taken seriously by the biking fraternity then they should stop ALL the pretence and stop bikes and tell the rider they have been stopped to make them aware of this is a dangerous stretch of road etc, the area has had a rash of bad accidents lately, they are riding poorly or even they have been riding in a responsible manner and praise the rider(s)! By all means stop them and make them aware of Bikesafe/advanced rider courses or whatever but I feel this would make much more of a contribution to road safety and would stop a lot of the sniping in MCN etc. Praise (like politeness) gets you far further and quicker in life than lecturing.
As far as discrimination is concerned (warning - this IS a flippant comment!!) North of the border we are well used to discrimination!..:D

I know it wasn't flippant Stewart, AIR police need a reason to stop and a small plate gives them the reason. We ( as a group) have to accept we are party responsible for how the police treat us, take a look at BBC video news

and with 5 deaths in 2 weeks in Cumbria who do you think the general public feel is responsible for the carnage?
 
I know it wasn't flippant Stewart, AIR police need a reason to stop and a small plate gives them the reason. We ( as a group) have to accept we are party responsible for how the police treat us, take a look at BBC video news

and with 5 deaths in 2 weeks in Cumbria who do you think the general public feel is responsible for the carnage?

A small minority are probably largely responsible for how we are treated. I have no time for anyone that thinks doing 3 figure speeds in a 60 mph zone is acceptable. 185 is plain madness. The dilemma on speed is at what point is it not acceptable? Ask the average car driver as to how far they exceed a speed limit and consider it safe/acceptable and ask a motorcyclist and I suspect there will be differing answers. As far as the casualty stats are concerned we are all aware of the dangers posed by other road users but I wonder of the incidents which do not involve another party what percentage is down to excesssive speed and what percentage is inexperience/misreading the road etc which could be avoided with further training. In some cases it will be both. As a group perhaps we should be seen to be more pro-active in promoting training?
 
Back
Top Bottom