NO, NO, NO!

sev

Subscriber
As the Germans would say.
Or...
As the mighty Iron Lady used to say, or maybe still does as knowing you lot you've got a Maggies Tatch Speaking toilet roll holder programmed to recount her finest speeches in a rousing and heroic manner as you offload your labour vote down the pan. ( obviously Noods eats the dogfood that used to be around in the 80's as there's no way his shit is anything other than white and smells of Enger-land with a george cross crimp).

Anyhoo... its a start.

Exige

Elite Member
Subscriber
Like Andy B and his What's FE been up to thread I'm keeping the dramatic tension up.
Unlike Andy B and his What's FE been up to thread, you will be sorely disappointed at the mundanity of it all.
We like mundanity :unsure: everyone is copying the OEM new bike release promo crap, Ducati copied Kawasaki, and you and Andy copy Ducati 🤷‍♂️

sev

Subscriber
This bike was bought as a basis for a trackday bike by the previous owner. That was nearly two months ago.
Due to some changes in circumstances and direction he decided to sell it and for the price I tore his arm off for it.
It's a 2006 Biposto. I've got enough old tat in the garage to give it the full blown S treatment.
Anyway, lured by the promise of free tea and the eating of another mans hobbitsnobs this landed from the lands of not surrey.

50748141981_ec5bfb2681_b.jpg

Strip down and clean was duly commenced and the stash of 999 parts box came out of the cupboard with many swears required to avoid loads of GSXR11 shit from falling on top of me.

The seller has noted that the previous owner had tried t respray the tired rear shock in situ. Hereforth the owner who he bought it from will be referred to as the previous owner, since the seller hand't owned it long enough to qualify.

The shock you say... the respraying the spring yellow you say.... The sticker says it all !

50755216516_f660f2126e_c.jpg
50755216566_82b00147a6_c.jpg

The overspray went quite deep!

50755320232_59a5bccf0d_c.jpg

The previous owner wanted to make sure the chain never dried out as there was enough chain gak to make your cloves look like you'd dipped them in treackle. I'd go as far as using the word... glistening.

50755320362_ee89faf214_c.jpg
50754482633_38f562a46b_c.jpg

But not for long. The old sprocket and chain were also removed and a new one fitted when the degakking was complete.

50755216401_ca70a5083f_c.jpg

Swingarm was also given a birthday and the chain guide removed to allow for cleaning of all the plastic bits.

50754482728_6bb8cf5984_c.jpg

But overall in reasonable nick.

new M12x1.5 rose joints ordered from McGills Motorsport for the shock linkage rod as I'm not giving Ducati £60 for a rose joint.

Next step is to have a good clean up, wipe down the tools and just check everything over.

I need to wait till new year for the powder coater to open so that I can get the mono rear subframe done and for some other bits to arrive.

In the meantime... I've got some sparkly baubles to hang off it to keep me out of trouble.

sev

Subscriber
Stuff has been dropping through the door, and some very little stuff has been happening in the garage on account of my nipples growing bigger than my nob when I go out there. On the plus side, I've been keeping the already fucking loaded Exige's coffers full, as this must be the third or fourth kit I've ordered off him now.

The bike has got some gratuitous charcoal tat to get sprinkled upon it..

50810119958_c6c4cd3952_c.jpg

The forks and yokes were taken off, and then replaced with a nice front end from a 749r. The dedication plaque came off nice and easily too.

Interestingly even in it's road setting, the 749R yokes have a different and unique to the 749R offset to the stock everything else yokes, I didn't know that.

To be fair its just nice having a set of yokes with a hole in the bottom again for a front lifter stand. Mudguard will get replaced with some charcoal fibre snotter I had lying around in the garage.

I was going to put it on the banana but the frikkin thing doesn't flex enough to put in without front wheel off, so it never went on it in the end.

50810112873_50e3f446e6_c.jpg

50810112878_be44a9250b_c.jpg

The back end has had some tarting as well..

50810117908_a40aaf3a62_c.jpg

And a caliper was replaced for the same but in ponce tint

50810117848_456a9f5760_c.jpg

because why? - well because it needs to match the calipers which needed a pretty good clean up to free up a couple of the pistons and bring them up to my standard. I've got a set of 1098 masters as well which were blessed with those horrible pissy shorty levers which took many hammer blows and heat to remove the pins from. Fucking things. Proper levers going in - unless I decide to use the RCS ones I've got stashed away.

50810976527_ffa06748f9_c.jpg

and I know you bunch of deviants like a bit of pegging.

50810862406_8eef5ec220_c.jpg

Now, interestingly, I was talking to @Andyb about throttle conversions, and on investigating one of the previous owners had done a conversion on the throttle.
I thought it a 916 family throttle as it has a single not dual cable, but it can't be as it's got no fast idle nubbin. However it has a shorter twist, 70degrees or 80 degrees or something like that, definitely not 90. I can see me cutting the locating bit off, as it interferes with the banjo on the master cylinder.

50810112838_1c7fbb8b1d_c.jpg

Since it started life at laguna cycles in Kent, the workshop manager at Laguna Performance has kindly sent the previous owners he knows of a mail to see if any of them are in possession of the red key and code card. Fingers crossed. If not I've got a whole lockset complete which I'll send to scorpio electronics for mileage correction and install it on this one, as I do like it to have all the stuff it should do. The clockset I have has 4k on the clock and this old lass has 12.

last bit of stripping and cleaning to go and then I can start throwing stuff back on there.

Inconel link pipe has gone off to the inconel doctor to be cloned to fit the ballymoney silencer

The back end still needs to be installed. I bought a rear shock and linkage off a man on the DF who had some time back broke his 749r. That was christmas. At the time of writing, there are only 349 days left till christmas 2021 and I hope he shifts his arse and gets it to me before then.

Annoying as I said I'd have half of that bike at the beginning of last year and when lockdown 1 came I said the same again. In the intervening months apparently he sold it all. People are strange.

I've got a 749R tank for it, which to be fair, looks a bit shit shape wise vs the RS or the regular tank, and an RS seat unit I'd like to fit. The bloke who sold the tank still needs to come and unlock the bloody thing. I've also got a monoposto subframe which I will be keeping in silver, as with the black subframe there's nothing to break up the sea of red.

I'm possibly thinking of making a road bike friendly mounting for the RS seat unit, as the 749RS fitting kit although ideal for a race bike is poo for a road bike, and after forking out 400 bones for the thing from Speed Carbon, buggered if I'm punching two more holes in the back end of it when there are two there already. Maybe a heatshield that incorporates all of the mods and the mounting will be in order.

Failing that I modify and remould the front of the RS seat to accept a road bike seat unit. Dunno.

I'm also looking at making a rad shroud infill panel as well because I've got some charcoal airtubes to fit on there, and the OEM air tubes were really good with their wee rad shroud bits, so I'd like to keep the same thing going.

Its got some BT021r rubber on there, which I'm trying to decide whether to keep and just change the rear for a 190/55 as it's a 190/50 currently - this will go on a 5.75 rear I have for the bike. if I was keeping the stock wheels on it I'd stick with a 180.

So as always with these things, we wait.

Last edited:

sev

Subscriber
Thats a 998 throttle no fast idle button tge cold start was a separate lever on the left side
Tge 998 is tge same throw zero to hero as the 996 etc 67 degrees...
That's brilliant, thanks Andy (y)

Andyb

Subscriber
Looks like he has used a 999 opening cable and changed its end to the 998 ets

don’t know if you know the 999 throttle bodies cables connect ns of the v cyl
The old model single cable ones connect os of the h cyl

• Useful
Reactions: sev

Nasher

Subscriber
Sev, I assume that's the one you pointed me in the direction of on the PB forum?

Had the mods on there not taken a week to approve my membership I might have had it myself.

Nasher.

sev

Subscriber
You got a ride height tool?
Not yet Andy. But I'll be scrounging at your door with offerings of hobnobs and monster munch if MistaStretta finally sends off that shock and linkage.

Sev, I assume that's the one you pointed me in the direction of on the PB forum?

Had the mods on there not taken a week to approve my membership I might have had it myself.

Nasher.
I literally got in there within a day. He had a que of people by day 2. There's still the box find 999. Barn finds are for amateurs!

sev

Subscriber
Looks like he has used a 999 opening cable and changed its end to the 998 ets

don’t know if you know the 999 throttle bodies cables connect ns of the v cyl
The old model single cable ones connect os of the h cyl
I’ll get the airbox lid off and see what’s occurring in there. I’ve got an R1 and an R6 tube somewhere so if all else fails I’ll go back to the proper oem housing.

NOODS

Subscriber
As the Germans would say.
Or...
As the mighty Iron Lady used to say, or maybe still does as knowing you lot you've got a Maggies Tatch Speaking toilet roll holder programmed to recount her finest speeches in a rousing and heroic manner as you offload your labour vote down the pan. ( obviously Noods eats the dogfood that used to be around in the 80's as there's no way his shit is anything other than white and smells of Enger-land with a george cross crimp).

Anyhoo... its a start.
West Ham first my Son...Cockney second, English terd but never British, English only..

45CB1DD2-0AFB-4BB7-9D9D-5A784CE011A9.jpeg

X

NOODS

Subscriber
Fine tea towel collection there noods :D
I’ve 90 odd at the last count, admittedly some are a little small now!

Tea towels no mte.. We only neck propar bubbly seeing as we are them World cup Winners..

luvin your build by the way Sev ... X

Last edited:

sev

Subscriber
Lots more cleaning, and lots more fidgeting..

I don't think that the red key and code card will show up, so my ocd on these matters will probably drive me to end up swapping out for the spare dash set I've got after I've done the mileage correction on it, or just take the plunge on a new lockset and get the dash virginised like I did with the 749.

Anyway, while I'm scratching my nuts over that, some of these..

50810864621_43bfca1f7d_c.jpg

Now live behind these, as I scheme out the routing for the hydraulic lines..

50835713577_2cec40ef97_c.jpg

Rear brake master swapped out for a PS13

50834901038_18a05ff1ab_c.jpg

And a direction is being formulated..

50835633571_3aa83ffc1a_c.jpg

In order to make the front play nice, some trimming of the charcoal mudguard might be necessary

50835633606_b4c79a29b7_c.jpg

The design language must be respected as the roll necked felt tipped fairies would say...

50835633631_6e2e527311_c.jpg

Better. Clearance achieved, and I trimmed a hole and track to mirror the right side brake line run cavity on the left hand side.

50835633621_6cc4458136_c.jpg

50835633611_d297a56b0f_c.jpg