monster fun

vic

took my 999 for it's 1st service today and those lovely people at ducati leeds lent me a monster 1000ie 'till i pick my bike up tomorrow.
what a fantastic bike this is,i'm well impressed with it,god knows how the s4r or the s4rs goes and handles.
been up to squires cafe tonight on it and loved every minute of it,not laughed as much riding a bike for ages.the handling (although a bit soft) was brilliant round the twisties and easily caught many sports bikes up who'd just blasted past at 100 mph plus on the straights (quite a few idiots out tonite but thats another story) to be honest i was going quite steady,don't do thrashing other peoples bikes,but the monster just made it sooooo easy ;)
trouble is i now want a monster!!!!
but which one to go for? s2r 1000 looks good or the s4r except for the radiator/oil cooler aaarrrgggghhhhh i'm never bloody happy,wanted a ducati for 17 years i've only had the 999 for 10 minutes and now i want another one :confused: :confused: :confused:

i just don't believe it!!!

vic said:
took my 999 for it's 1st service today and those lovely people at ducati leeds lent me a monster 1000ie 'till i pick my bike up tomorrow.
what a fantastic bike this is,i'm well impressed with it,god knows how the s4r or the s4rs goes and handles.
been up to squires cafe tonight on it and loved every minute of it,not laughed as much riding a bike for ages.the handling (although a bit soft) was brilliant round the twisties and easily caught many sports bikes up who'd just blasted past at 100 mph plus on the straights (quite a few idiots out tonite but thats another story) to be honest i was going quite steady,don't do thrashing other peoples bikes,but the monster just made it sooooo easy ;)
but which one to go for? s2r 1000 looks good or the s4r except for the radiator/oil cooler aaarrrgggghhhhh i'm never bloody happy,wanted a ducati for 17 years i've only had the 999 for 10 minutes and now i want another one :confused: :confused: :confused:

Glad u enjoyed it Vic.
I've got the opposite problem, i've had the 620 for 2yrs now and don't no wither to go for the new 695 when it's oot or a 748.
And yeah they do handle well don't they:D :D

vic said:

You'll get one, take it in for its first service, they'll lend you a multistrada and you'll want of them as well :D :D having owned an M750 ie, 999S and MTS i'd say the MTS is the more practical bike for me. Monsters are great till you have to do a long trip when the lack of wind protection and riding position start to get uncomfortable, there's loads of people who can do that type of riding on them but i found it wasn't my bag. You could go for S4RS which is almost a naked 999S and the extra power would be an absolute scream, I must try and get a test ride on one :D

I love riding the monster if I am not going any long distance as it doesn't have a fairing (though I am thinking of buying a DART flyscreen for it.....any comments on those?) and the wind resistance does get a bit tiring. The 600 is plenty quick enough up to legal speeds and is really good fun to ride. I think twice as much BHP just means longer arms from hangin' on!
When I get on the 748 I find it OK when my old joints ajust themselves and is quite cumfy right up to 140 (in France). It is just a pain around town on the wrists with a lousy turning circle and trapped thumbs on full lock. If you want a 748 or any of it's brothers I don't advise taking it for a test ride because it took me a couple of weeks and ajusting the suspension and gear lever etc to get it right for me. When I bought mine it was running like a kangaroo on crutches and didn't feel fully right until it had been fully serviced and ajusted!
You buy a 748 etc cos you just love the look and you ajust to the pain and pleasure of owning one!;)

Yep, my dream combination is a 748 and one of the older air cooled monsters. I'm half way there :thumbs:

The only problem with the Monster, is it seems to turn relatively normal people, into crazed, tinkering, tweaking lunatics, obsessed with modifying the bastid thing, unable to leave it alone...and generally keeping spare parts companies in business, not to mention the countless delivery companies that come to my door on a regular basis. Man, I see more of these guys than I see some of my mates!

Hmm...I really have to get this finished don't I! I said this last week, and it seems to look even less of a bike this week :comp2:

Last edited:
The two valvers do look better, i like the 4's apart from the plumbing and the oil cooler on the Rs is going to take a right hammering, I like steve have a 748 and a 600 Monster, both great fun, just buy one, any one !!!

I too am going back to the simpler two valvers.
I had a 916 for seven years and last year moved onto the S2R and have enjoyed the change immensly,though hanker after the racing crouch a bit-perhaps clip ons might solve that.
I had the option of getting the S4R,but found that,like its newer sibling, just plain ugly.All that plumbing was designed to be hidden behind a fairing.
I've also done more work on the monster in the year I've had it than all the time with the 916.
They're a laugh,everyone should have one! (That means you too Scott!)

so what you're saying gizmo is that i should have a 999,monster and a multistrada? sounds good to me,just need a job that pays three times more than i'm earning at the moment
nimue,clutch lever? yours broken? i think i can guess :)
well i think i'll have to have one,maybe next year,just got to get my finances sorted :eek:

eonan said:
Yep, my dream combination is a 748 and one of the older air cooled monsters. I'm half way there :thumbs:

The only problem with the Monster, is it seems to turn relatively normal people, into crazed, tinkering, tweaking lunatics, obsessed with modifying the bastid thing, unable to leave it alone...and generally keeping spare parts companies in business, not to mention the countless delivery companies that come to my door on a regular basis. Man, I see more of these guys than I see some of my mates!

Hmm...I really have to get this finished don't I! I said this last week, and it seems to look even less of a bike this week :comp2:

If you stopped sellin all your bits on flea bay you might have a bike eonan.;)

Tam said:
If you stopped sellin all your bits on flea bay you might have a bike eonan.;)

Heh heh...but I need to sell those bits to finance my new bits! Its OCD...Obsessive Component Disorder :p

eonan said:
Heh heh...but I need to sell those bits to finance my new bits! Its OCD...Obsessive Component Disorder :p

Or non functioning subliminal projection:eek: Where did that come from:rolleyes: . Best i lay off the cider:beer:

Paul748 said:
Will be buying a monster myself after summer, up £2k what will that get me? M600, M750???

I was about to write down some details, about prices and what to expect...then this came up on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DUCATI-MONSTE...4635770760QQcategoryZ9919QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Honestly mate...£2000 for this would be a brilliant buy! You rarlely get a bike like this coming along, with so much history, and so obviously well looked after. I'm tempted to go for it myself.

eonan said:
I was about to write down some details, about prices and what to expect...then this came up on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DUCATI-MONSTE...4635770760QQcategoryZ9919QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Honestly mate...£2000 for this would be a brilliant buy! You rarlely get a bike like this coming along, with so much history, and so obviously well looked after. I'm tempted to go for it myself.
Looking at this monster £2000 does look a reasonable amount for it! Loads of history, the paintwork looks good, Previous owners have really looked after it, and it looks like it's got sensible mods to it!
Before I bought the 600 monster I did a bit of phoning around and the salesman at JHP told me that I would struggle to get any monster for less than £1500. The one I have is a 94 with 13K a bit tatty paintwork wise and I
paid £1500 for it. Mainly because the Reg No is M600 MON and I reckon that is good for at least £500. It is worth a phone call to sound the guy out, He's not to far away to go down with £2k and ride it! :thumbs:

vic said:
so what you're saying gizmo is that i should have a 999,monster and a multistrada? sounds good to me,just need a job that pays three times more than i'm earning at the moment
nimue,clutch lever? yours broken? i think i can guess :)
well i think i'll have to have one,maybe next year,just got to get my finances sorted :eek:
My new clutch lever was cannibalised from a 1000 Monster at Ducati Leeds last Monday.....

M1000sie:thumbs: :thumbs:

best of the monster range that is (did I say I had one?:D ) had her for almost 2 & half years now, having needed more 'legs' than my 750ie was offering. Tried the Multistrudle but wasnt for me. Reckon that would suit sportsbike rider wanting a 2nd bike - but not usually the already owning monster person.

Back