Mike Hailwood's 1978 TT Comeback

Robarano

Elite Member
Subscriber
Away for 11 years, comes back as a change to a 9-5 job and wins. :)

*Should maybe be in the Motorsports section, but felt I should post here for some reason.

duccout

I was there! I watched from Governor's Bridge and can still remember Mike passing on the last lap on the way to the chequered flag. It was in many ways a fairy tale, the Ducati was an old, slow and unreliable bike and most people thought that Mike would break down, and he did - as he crossed the finishing line the bike cut out, due to all the teeth dropping off the timing gears! It would make a worthy film, as it was almost as if it was scripted anyway.

JAT

Elite Member
Subscriber
I was there! I watched from Governor's Bridge and can still remember Mike passing on the last lap on the way to the chequered flag. It was in many ways a fairy tale, the Ducati was an old, slow and unreliable bike and most people thought that Mike would break down, and he did - as he crossed the finishing line the bike cut out, due to all the teeth dropping off the timing gears! It would make a worthy film, as it was almost as if it was scripted anyway.
That must have been brilliant, grown men were crying says the legend.