Maxton Cartridges

CAT3

Subscriber
Well, had my forks dropped off today at Maxton's for a bit of bling !!
Here's the "before",
DSCN3631.JPG

The "during", with dummies fitted to hold the handlebars in place & keep the master cylinders upright.
DSC_0692.jpg

The "after" should be in a few weeks, can't wait !! :love:

Did you have them sorted to match your weight, type of riding etc etc?
Yes, but of course ?
Without sounding stupid, is there any other way to do it ?
I assume if you go to the trouble of having such modifications carried out on your bike only a fool would have custom suspension set up incorrectly, i.e. for somebodies else's weight, track use when you only ever go on the road, two-up riding when you never carry a passenger, etc, etc.

Forks are now refitted & sag set, just need some warmer weather to try them out & make any adjustments.
DSCN3916.JPG

They look great fitted

Yes, but of course ?
I assume if you go to the trouble of having such modifications carried out on your bike only a fool would have custom suspension set up incorrectly, i.e. for somebodies else's weight, track use when you only ever go on the road, two-up riding when you never carry a passenger, etc, etc.

I have seen one or two people just send them off for a refurb and just that rather than ask about setting them up for the rider and refurbed

They look great fitted

I have seen one or two people just send them off for a refurb and just that rather than ask about setting them up for the rider and refurbed
Oh right, seems a bit of a waste unless they were previously "setup". :unsure:

As mentioned in another thread on here, I finally got out today on my 750SS to try out the Maxton fork conversion. Thought I'd better keep this thread up to date for anybody following in my footsteps !
Went for a gentle bimble up Long Hill to Buxton, then back home via Dove Holes so a selction of traffic infested A6, twisties up Long Hill & a bit of dual carrigeway past Whalley Bridge.

There's a huge difference in ride now compared to the original, un-adjustable forks. The harshness has been replaced with a much nicer quality of ride. I've yet to fiddle with any of the adjusters for compression & rebound damping, other than the spring pre-load setting the static sag when I re-fitted my forks, which I just backed off one turn, so they are set at the base setting provided by Maxton for my weight.
I have put a tyrap on one of the legs just to check how much the forks are moving & they are moving more than before.
I'll go out one day with an Allen key & ratchet on a quite section of road & have a bit of a fiddle. However, even if I end up back at Maxton's "base" settings I'll be happy 👍

Yes, but of course ?

I've been out a couple of times now for a bit of suspension fiddling, using Long Hill near Buxton as my "track".
Bearing in mind I don't profess to be any sort of corner-king, (my chicken-strips are quite large) I've done some adjusting/riding/adjusting/riding & after settling on some settings, when I looked at the base setting Maxton returned my forks with I have ended up basically at those original, base settings. I think I've reduced the spring pre-load by one turn & both the compression damping & rebound damping are about clicks softer.
Just need to have a look at the rear suspension unit now, but that's another project for another time, after I have done our bedroom & en-suite !!:ROFLMAO:

I set static sag to the recommended Maxton dimension, 25 - 35mm. The springs fitted in my forks are to suit my weight, (0.90Kg/mm springs) & riding style so adjusting sag with me sat on the bike after setting static sag would affect this static sag adjustment.
I'm assuming Maxton allow for rider weight when choosing suitable springs for each individual & the type of riding each individual does & what bike it is & the type of use/riding it will be subjected to.

I believe the static sag measurement is quite a standard dimension for all bikes, I have a mate with a Vyrus, (CBR600RR engine) & full Maxton suspension & the static sag for that bike was much the same.

The thing with suspension is you can set it up perfectly for one corner, but the next one can be completely different, so suspension is always going to be a compromise. That is true for both the road & the track.
You make adjustments to get the best, for you, feel overall & you settle on those settings.

To be honest, for me, my riding is all on the "normal" roads, in traffic, in normal everyday situations. Yes I like to go a bit fast sometimes, but to be honest I have to admit it would be nowhere near the limit of any of my bikes with the exception of my bobber !!
Standard Ducati suspension is too hard for "normal" riding, or at least it was in 1994 when my 750SS was made. Ducati had to make that bike suitable for me, for a skinny bloke & a big fat bloke so it can never work well for everyone as do all the other manufacturer's. That same criteria is true for todays bikes, so maybe this is why electronic suspension is the future as that can adjust as you ride.

At the end of the day my SS was supplied with non-adjustable, harsh front suspension & I have replaced it with good quality adjustable suspension & the ride quality has been improved vastly so I'm happy.
DSCN3982.JPG

Last edited:
Back