Longest Day Up - Lands End to JoG on a 300 quid bike

m@tt

Subscriber
A week today I’ll be in Penzance looking forward to the early start on Monday morning .
At sunrise I’ll be setting off an old Honda CBR1000f purchased for not much more than 300 quid and hoping to make it to John O’ Groats by dusk .

What could possibly go wrong ?

I did look for a Ducati for the trip , but couldn’t even find an engine in budget . Hopefully the big Honda is the right choice for over 1000 miles without one mile on a motorway . I’ve put on some motocross bars I had laying around so it’s a bit more comfortable and I can stand up to relieve the aching buttox as needed.
It’s going to be a real endurance test . I did a shake down run this week of over 650 miles , so have some confidence that the bike will make it at least

Charlie isn’t coming along, as it’s not going to be a fun trip , but she’s been on some training runs . It’s not just the long day ride, of course , I still have to get back home.
The plan is either to do the NC500 on the way back , or roll the bike into the sea at JoG depending on how it goes

The run is to raise funds for Cancer Research , so if anyone feels like donating , here’s the link

Matt and Charlie’s Long Way up

Matt......
1C914530-6730-431F-A7C5-5F31B34C4702.jpeg
F43CF147-08E3-489F-920B-071E4EC4C409.jpeg

Last edited:
Good Luck.
Interesting that you’ve posted this up; only last night I was thinking: Is there a “shortest night across” run?
I love riding at night.
I was thinking of watching the sunset on the West cost and then scooting across to the East coast for the sunrise.
Lands End to Lowestoft would be ideal, but I don't fancy the run down to Lands End to start the journey, it’ll have to be something like Blackpool to Scarborough, or similar.
Does the community have an idea for a start and a finish point? Somewhere nice to watch the sunset and somewhere nice to watch the sunrise with a few enjoyable roads in between.
Don’t want to hijack this thread.
Should this be in a thread of it’s own?

425556E0-2DAA-471A-A662-6D465AADEDBD.jpeg

Good Luck.
Interesting that you’ve posted this up; only last night I was thinking: Is there a “shortest night across” run?
I love riding at night.
I was thinking of watching the sunset on the West cost and then scooting across to the East coast for the sunrise.
Lands End to Lowestoft would be ideal, but I don't fancy the run down to Lands End to start the journey, it’ll have to be something like Blackpool to Scarborough, or similar.
Does the community have an idea for a start and a finish point? Somewhere nice to watch the sunset and somewhere nice to watch the sunrise with a few enjoyable roads in between.

View attachment 21434
Higher up than blackpool.. selerfield way on and across to whitby of north landing at flambourgh?

Good Luck.
I love riding at night.

View attachment 21434
Clarkson did that one year but I think it was 🤔 fuck , can't remember...
Easiest place to do it is a place called Mavis Grind on the Shetland mainland, would only take 2 minutes to walk though as it's virtually only as wide as the road 🤣

I made it to JoG at 2am , 1041 miles no Motorways and a pretty tortuous route from Northwich to Garstang, via Holmfirth , Halifax others with traffic filled single carriageway roads I hope never to ride again
Pissing down from Lands End to Cirencester , then luckily brightened up
North of Preston and Scotland was a joy . The route included a ferry to Dunoon and then some fantastic roads to Fort William and onto Inverness
The last leg from Inverness to JoG was tough , very cold and I really should have checked out the headlights on the Old Honda before then . Other than that she performed faultlessly

On the way home now via the NC500 .. some great roads , some single lanes more like farm tracks which was a surprise.
Big ride from Ullapool area to Cumbria tomorrow and home on Thursday

I made it to JoG at 2am , 1041 miles no Motorways and a pretty tortuous route from Northwich to Garstang, via Holmfirth , Halifax others with traffic filled single carriageway roads I hope never to ride again
North of Preston and Scotland was a joy . The route included a ferry to Dunoon and then some fantastic roads to Fort William and onto Inverness
The last leg from Inverness to JoG was tough , very cold and I really should have checked out the headlights on the Old Honda before then . Other than that she performed faultlessly

On the way home now via the NC500 .. some great roads , some single lanes more like farm tracks which was a surprise.
Fair play buddy!!

Well done👍 How long did it take in all ?

Back