Living with a MultiStrada V4

I’m working on my report, I actually took 2 out 😮

Bad and good, wait a while until I write it up👍

Thank you, yes, just got wifey and family things which take up my time 👍

🤣 I’m gonna ask @Exige where he got his tassel jacket from. Funny you should mention the chiropractor, my back’s been giving me jip last night & today and it’s all the fault of one of the HDs 😮
Your back is hurting from doing the ymca dance in the blue oyster bar I bet

Not just that 😮
0DF6D9F1-8CF4-4011-B5A4-BE1C34A6261F.gif

You've had this for a while now wcp and there is something I'd like your input on. Your's if I recall, has the full set of goodies on including that radar doo dah that's meant to avoid/reduce accidents.

My biggest worry on those system is would they impact the ability to filter? Have you had any experience of filtering with the radar on and has it caused any issues?

You've had this for a while now wcp and there is something I'd like your input on. Your's if I recall, has the full set of goodies on including that radar doo dah that's meant to avoid/reduce accidents.

My biggest worry on those system is would they impact the ability to filter? Have you had any experience of filtering with the radar on and has it caused any issues?
Do they have Filtering in West Cork :unsure:

Is that what's stopping you getting one? :unsure:

I think @Exige 's response (post #107) is the correct one for around here 👍

However, I don't know the answer so, if I remember, the next time I am up in Cork where there are more than 2 cars, I shall try it out and report back.

What I can tell you is;

you simply set it to the desired speed, lets say 100kmh, and then let it do it's thing. It will cruise all day at 100kmh. If there is a vehicle in front that is going slower than 100kmh then it will slow the bike down and will maintain the distance you have determined behind that vehicle. You can adjust the distance on the fly so if you want to drop back a bit just extend the distance, want to move up closer just reduce the distance. It will then hold you at the distance and the same speed as the vehicle in front - it works with other motorcycles in front too even though that's a very much smaller rear area. 👍

Let's say the vehicle in front is doing 50kmh and you're bored and want to overtake it then simply indicate and as soon as the indicator is switched on the bike will accelerate to overtake the vehicle. At this point it's worth steering to the side you have indicated or else you'll end up in the back of the vehicle in front for the bike now assumes you are about to overtake, or else why did you indicate, and need the extra speed so you'd better bloody well overtake 😯 . Additionally, when overtaking in such a scenario it even adds on extra speed, I don't know how much exactly but guess around 20-25%, so that you can get past as quickly and safely as possible, ie it will go to 120kmh and then once it knows it's past the vehicle it drops back down to the set speed again.

The system is very clever. It can adjust speed by either closing/opening the throttle or applying brakes.

If the vehicle in front decides to just stop suddenly then the brakes will be applied at maximum but the screen will start flashing amber like mad and scream at you for manual intervention.

Now, anyone reading this might be thinking, 'that's all well and good when on a dead straight road/motorway but what about if you're on the twisties?' Well, it's damn clever. If it detects you are cornering then it switches its angle of view, ie, the road goes to the left, the car in front moves to the left, but as you're also leaning the bike to the left the radar moves it's beam to the left and thus keeps the car in sight. Clever stuff.

Another thing, let's say you're doing 50kmh behind a car and you've set it to 100kmh and the car in front moves off the road, say, turns left and disappears, as soon as that car moves out of directly in front of the bike, the radar recognises the road is open and accelerates away.

Finally, for now, on this technological tour de force, unlike most other 'cruise' controls, changing gear does not switch it off, nor does opening the throttle to go faster than the set speed, and it will stay enabled until you either turn it off using the switch or apply the brakes manually or force the throttle past it's closed position.

The one thing it is worth being aware of is that when its in use and your hand is off the throttle control, which is a fly by wire one, the throttle control returns to the closed position on the bar, if you then switch of the ACC using the handlebar switch the physical butterfly valves slam shut and, due to the very strong engine braking on this bike, it's as though you've applied the brakes - makes it a bit jerky for a pillion. It's best to open the throttle a bit and then switch off the ACC and then it's a much smoother transition from auto to manual control.

On a further note, Ducati have just released a software update for the bike and amongst other things, for those of a diminished inside leg measurement, at the press of a button, one can now lower the entire bike by about 2", making it easier to get your feet flat on the floor.

I think @Exige 's response (post #107) is the correct one for around here 👍

However, I don't know the answer so, if I remember, the next time I am up in Cork where there are more than 2 cars, I shall try it out and report back.

What I can tell you is;

you simply set it to the desired speed, lets say 100kmh, and then let it do it's thing. It will cruise all day at 100kmh. If there is a vehicle in front that is going slower than 100kmh then it will slow the bike down and will maintain the distance you have determined behind that vehicle. You can adjust the distance on the fly so if you want to drop back a bit just extend the distance, want to move up closer just reduce the distance. It will then hold you at the distance and the same speed as the vehicle in front - it works with other motorcycles in front too even though that's a very much smaller rear area. 👍

Let's say the vehicle in front is doing 50kmh and you're bored and want to overtake it then simply indicate and as soon as the indicator is switched on the bike will accelerate to overtake the vehicle. At this point it's worth steering to the side you have indicated or else you'll end up in the back of the vehicle in front for the bike now assumes you are about to overtake, or else why did you indicate, and need the extra speed so you'd better bloody well overtake 😯 . Additionally, when overtaking in such a scenario it even adds on extra speed, I don't know how much exactly but guess around 20-25%, so that you can get past as quickly and safely as possible, ie it will go to 120kmh and then once it knows it's past the vehicle it drops back down to the set speed again.

The system is very clever. It can adjust speed by either closing/opening the throttle or applying brakes.

If the vehicle in front decides to just stop suddenly then the brakes will be applied at maximum but the screen will start flashing amber like mad and scream at you for manual intervention.

Now, anyone reading this might be thinking, 'that's all well and good when on a dead straight road/motorway but what about if you're on the twisties?' Well, it's damn clever. If it detects you are cornering then it switches its angle of view, ie, the road goes to the left, the car in front moves to the left, but as you're also leaning the bike to the left the radar moves it's beam to the left and thus keeps the car in sight. Clever stuff.

Another thing, let's say you're doing 50kmh behind a car and you've set it to 100kmh and the car in front moves off the road, say, turns left and disappears, as soon as that car moves out of directly in front of the bike, the radar recognises the road is open and accelerates away.

Finally, for now, on this technological tour de force, unlike most other 'cruise' controls, changing gear does not switch it off, nor does opening the throttle to go faster than the set speed, and it will stay enabled until you either turn it off using the switch or apply the brakes manually or force the throttle past it's closed position.

The one thing it is worth being aware of is that when its in use and your hand is off the throttle control, which is a fly by wire one, the throttle control returns to the closed position on the bar, if you then switch of the ACC using the handlebar switch the physical butterfly valves slam shut and, due to the very strong engine braking on this bike, it's as though you've applied the brakes - makes it a bit jerky for a pillion. It's best to open the throttle a bit and then switch off the ACC and then it's a much smoother transition from auto to manual control.

Sounds very similar to the car one. Only thing I don’t like is even on the lowest distance setting it leaves a gap that other cars will move into, and then because there’s suddenly another car there brakes hard.
Other than that I like it.

Last edited:
Well, that has been a long time since I updated this thread. Why? Because the bike has just performed faultlessly and apart from the fact it’s so damn comfortable and so damn fast there’s been nothing of note to write about.

However, as it’s now been with me for a year and just had its first annual inspection and I thought I’d share this info - this is after all a motorcycle forum isn’t it 🤔🤣.

C9092896-547A-4EF6-A6EC-49D912686174.jpeg

It was due its annual inspection but, as I’d done just under 13,000km, I asked them to do the 15k oil service as well. The total bill was €321. It was with them about 5-6 hours as there were a number of software updates to load into the bike as it’s not been there for 12 months so that takes time plus there were 4 recalls that had to be done, which they assure me weren’t charged for.

1. My exhaust heat shield had to be replaced due to discolouration

2. the centre stand bolts & bushes were replaced as the original ones could fail.

3. The screws that hold the plastic petrol cap surround and phone holder in place had to be removed, thread locked and replaced to stop that plastic trim going out of alignment (mine was fine actually).

4. Likewise, the screws that hold the tail piece in place had to have the same treatment as apparently some tail pieces have fallen off😮.

I forgot to mention to them the heated pillion seat didn’t work on its high setting but that was fixed as well and they must have known about it as a fault because when I got the bike back it was on and on the high setting and working. Whether that fix was as a consequence of one of the software updates or a known loose connection somewhere I’ll never know but at least it now works on both low and high settings👍.

Finally, as I asked for the oil change to be done 2000km before it’s due (it’s an 800km round trip for me to/from the dealer so I didn’t want to go back in a couple of months), I fully expected I will see the oil service due warning come on as I approach the 15k Km. However, rather surprisingly, I noticed in the service settings when I got home they’ve actually managed to reset it before it’s tripped, which is a first afaik👍. So no annoying, and unnecessary, warning light in the near future.

EC95A64D-B601-4B08-A526-65D679B04B2B.jpeg

I have done more mileage on this bike in the past year than I’ve ever done on any of my other bikes combined previously. I’ve chosen the bike rather than the car when in the past I would have taken the car. It’s a pleasure to ride👍.

I’ve had zero issues with it.

My rear brake works, but is nowhere near as effective as that on the Desert X I test rode whilst waiting for mine.

I’m still on the original tyres that have performed faultlessly in all weathers, at all speeds, bar a low speed lowside on damp grass 🙁. The rear is now below it’s wear limit but new Dunlop Mutants arrive shortly.

Some owners have complained of intolerable vibrations through the pegs and the bars. IME there are vibrations that can be felt through the foot pegs at 7-9k rpm but they don’t bother me and actually are noticeably less after yesterday’s service. In fact, apart from a JIL4 I can’t think of any bike that doesn’t have some vibration.

There is, and always has been, some hesitation in the throttle/fuel mapping if you hold it at 4,000 rpm in any gear. It’s almost as though, if it were carbs, it’s on the threshold of changing from the slow idle circuit to the needle jet circuit and doesn’t know which to be on. I’m sure a session on a dyno would tune it out as it’s probably emmissions related in the engine maps but I’m not going to do that as I don’t want to invalidate the 4 year warranty. It’s not excessive or overly intrusive and Ive learned to chug around at 3k in a higher gear if needs be, there’s more than enough torque, or more likely have it at >4.5k in a lower gear.

I’ve never experienced anything other than rock steady stability at speed, even with a top box on at over 200kmh despite some owners complaining of the front wheel going light and wobbling at speeds in excess of 160kmh (100mph). Personally, I think their issue is down to tyre pressures (I run mine at the recommended 35/36) and/or too much weight in/on the top box which sits behind the rear axle and will act as a lever to lift the front wheel.

The OEM chain is a low cost DID one with steel plates which rust which is a shame but on the good side after the initial stretch during the 1000km run in period I’ve only had to adjust it 2x in 13000km.

If I have one criticism it’s the fuel consumption, I get 14.5Km/litre on average (that’s around 40 mpg imperial) but I’ll live with that for the thrills that engine provides, especially once it’s hits 8000rpm😁. Besides, I don’t notice it’s fuel consumption when on my own, it’s only noticeable when riding over a few days with others and filling up each morning and noticing the others only need 2/3rds the fuel I do, ehh @Hugo Magnus 😁👍.

I’ve done long trips, 13hrs in the saddle, without any issues but I appreciate that’s totally subjective depending on one’s arse.

All in all, in my experience, its a brilliant bike, I have no regrets in buying it a year ago and am so glad I didn’t buy the GSA I very very nearly did as that is just soulless compared to this.

ps. You can send me the money now Ducati 🤣🤣

pps. I have only ridden this one once since I got the Multi 😕
8A4A81B3-D272-4E63-98A9-7EA1F0299539.jpeg

Back