Key cutting malarkey

Dukesox

Elite Member
Subscriber
I cunningly lost the key to my old Monster the other day. It is of course at home or in the garden as I rode the bike home but despite hours of searching it has not turned up. Mrs Duke Sox thinks a magpie or crow has spotted the shiny keyring in the garden and pinched it. Sounds implausible but I just smiled and mumbled something to humour her. I`m a bit cross with myself as the keyring is dog tags from previous dogs of mine so it has sentimental value.
Luckily I have the red key and code card so I called Ducati Aylesbury who are my nearest dealers to ask about getting a new key cut. They were very helpful on the phone but informed me I needed to get a new key cut myself and then bring it along with bike to them where they would code the key to the bike. This takes about half an hour apparently so will cost approx £half a Brazillion and I`d have to wait till September for their next available slot in the workshop. Not ideal.
Anyway, I thought I best get on with it so tried Timpsons who could not get the right blank so then popped along to a local independent key cutting/security specialist. The surprisingly helpful bloke in the shop said he could order the blank which would arrive the next day and that he may be able to code the key too as its a 17 year old immobiliser so not as complex as the latest systems. I ordered the key, it arrived the next day and I have just been back to the shop and BINGO, the key was cut and programmed in about 2 minutes for just £30 . Now I`ve just got to search every magpie and crows nest in the area to get my keyring back.
 
Only problem is they have cloned your new key to the red key. It will work but the proper way is to get two coded black keys cut to match your present key and then use the red key to program the black keys. I can supply 2 coded black keys for £25. They will just need cutting. I used to pay £3.50 per key at a genuine Locksmiths for cutting my own key. That will give you an OEM set of keys. PM if interested.
 
Only problem is they have cloned your new key to the red key. It will work but the proper way is to get two coded black keys cut to match your present key and then use the red key to program the black keys. I can supply 2 coded black keys for £25. They will just need cutting. I used to pay £3.50 per key at a genuine Locksmiths for cutting my own key. That will give you an OEM set of keys. PM if interested.
When I bought the bike it only had 1 black key plus the red & code card. Based on your post the sensible thing would have been to cut a spare from the black key. I`ll bear that in mind for next time although I hope not to lose any more keys.
 
For anyone in the same situation. If you have the red key then you can program new black keys yourself by following the instructions in the service manual. The black key needs to be pre-coded (not a blank coded key off eBay). The best place to get keys cut are genuine Locksmiths. For later bikes like the 848/1098/1198 you need the code card and a new pre-coded key. Again, instructions on how to do it are in the service manual. Youtube is worth a visit as there are some instructional videos there.
I have various bits of kit that help with coding keys and also calculating the bypass code (you need the red key for the latter). PM me for help.

 
Back
Top Bottom