Iceland - anyone got info?

Gizmo

Forum Geek
We're thinking about our summer tour for next year and I've got a fancy for going to Iceland, didn't think we could get a direct ferry but I found this http://www.smyril-line.com company who seem to offer a regular service.

Has anyone ever toured Iceland ? or know where we can get info on good roads, routes and stuff to see? Or used smyril line or know of any other ferries going to iceland.

If it gets too complicated we'll probably do Norway/sweden instead.

Why would you want to go to Iceland?

Because it has without a shadow of a doubt the most drop dead gorgeous women I've ever met...and they're all totally and utterly off their trollies :cool: They really know how to party...but yeh, it's gonna cost ya :eek:

well, as I don't drink beer prices ain't that important and TBH most of Scandinavia is about the same when it comes to drink in bars. It looks like it might not be that easy to do though, ferry is a 2 week return with 3 nights on the Faroes plus a 2 day ride each way to Scrabster. no Gothenburg ferry from Newcastle anymore either so the choices are getting smaller.

Found a KTM hire company on iceland http://www.ktm-tours.net/ which might be an option :D

It looks like awesome secenery- I know it would cost a fortune and take ages but I would love to do some island hopping one summer including Orkney, Shetland, Faroes, Iceland then over to Norway, up to the Nordkapp then back down through Europe down to the sunshine!

Mikey, have the craic with Graham from Midac, him and his mate did Norway this year on the Katooms, my guess is he would be up for Iceland aswell, I am sure he researched it before doing Norway !

Got married in Iceland. Had big plans of touring round on my old Chang Jiang sidecar but my heart problem torpedoed that for the moment. An amazing place place, should be on anyones 'Places to visit before I die' list. They are self sufficient in bananas.

Its still on a todo list, waiting for some changes at work which might release time/money and I'll get it done , hopefully Kaboom will have a new 690 adventure single sorted by then :D

can recommend sweden
my sis stays in stoclholm and drove over to visit her one year
great scenery and great roads...

I worked in Sweden a few years ago, really liked it there and almost rode to Are this year for a photo festival. Its a fooking expensive place to visit though but luckily I dont drink :D

Iceland is an amazing place, stopped over quite a few time on the way to the States. I looked into this a while back, more from an off-road perspective. It seems that there are a lots of tours you can participate in mainly Adventure style.

If you google or shave a read on advrider.com you'll see a number of threads.

Good luck, It's a long sail!

They are self sufficient in bananas.

Err.. WTF? - really?

hopefully Kaboom will have a new 690 adventure single sorted by then
Hear,hear, I eagerly await the announcements of new KTMs, but alas, every one recently has had ridiculously small fuel tanks. Mind you.. I'm not sure I could part ways with my trusty old F650 Dakar these days.... :)

I planned out a big trip on my F650 to iceland a few years ago. Then they changed the ferry routes which basically made it more hassle than it was worth.

They build greenhouses over thermal springs - instant tropics. They are mostly mad in a similar way to the Scots - just add alcohol!

Sweden is mostly trees, a damned nuisance as you can't see the golden eagles coming.

Norway has some amazing roads but they are mostly in crap condition, the speed limits are too low and the fines are monstrous.

I've just got back from Iceland with some real bargains!!!! Turkey Drummers for the Xmas dinner with oven chips and peas!!:eek: Austerity measures already in place here!!
So its a "Bob Cratchet" Xmas for me!!!!:D

Michael

The lastest issue of Adventure Bike Rider has a good article about touring Iceland.

Adventure Bike rider magazine http://www.adventurebikerider.com/

They fly out and hired BMW F650's which seems to be a better option that taking your own bike

If you can't track the mag down I could send you my copy.

Michael

The lastest issue of Adventure Bike Rider has a good article about touring Iceland.

Adventure Bike rider magazine http://www.adventurebikerider.com/

They fly out and hired BMW F650's which seems to be a better option that taking your own bike

If you can't track the mag down I could send you my copy.

Ta Shaun, i ordered a back copy and got around to reading it today, it looks like a viable option to shipping a bike out, thanks for that.

Ta Shaun, i ordered a back copy and got around to reading it today, it looks like a viable option to shipping a bike out, thanks for that.

Your welcome Michael, looks like a great place, I hope you get there.

Back