Good mechanic for Rvf servicing

Dirty Leeds

Elite Member
Subscriber
Anyone know of a good mechanic or shop familiar with Japanese stuff? Wanting my Honda rvf going over, I have transport and am heading to Romford and Cheltnham this week … not sure if @cookster does stuff over in Cheltnham might send him a message but I’m sure he will be busy

Exige

Elite Member
Subscriber
Anyone know of a good mechanic or shop familiar with Japanese stuff? Wanting my Honda rvf going over, I have transport and am heading to Romford and Cheltnham this week … not sure if @cookster does stuff over in Cheltnham might send him a message but I’m sure he will be busy
Alan Longhurst in Murton, York - 30 years experience starting with Honda for years, then Kawasaki, Ducati, Aprilia and others. Self employed for many years, does MOT's and has a brand new Dyno too. Looney as fuck and never shuts up, but is the go too for many bike shops in Yorkshire that get stuck with diagnosis issues. I drink with him of a Saturday and will probably be out on the bikes tomorrow evening with him 🥳

Dirty Leeds

Elite Member
Subscriber
Alan Longhurst in Murton, York - 30 years experience starting with Honda for years, then Kawasaki, Ducati, Aprilia and others. Self employed for many years, does MOT's and has a brand new Dyno too. Looney as fuck and never shuts up, but is the go too for many bike shops in Yorkshire that get stuck with diagnosis issues. I drink with him of a Saturday and will probably be out on the bikes tomorrow evening with him 🥳
It’s in the van at moment and could do with it out was thinking drop it off at castle tomorrow as I’m off Sheffield but I’m wanting someone to go over without removing my pants in the process

it’s £125 for oil and filter at Castleford it holds not 3 litres of oil I’m not tight and yes I can do it but not in my living room

Dirty Leeds

Elite Member
Subscriber
If you get chance to ask him if he has any time coming up I can drop it over it might want plugs and air filter and god knows what, I know it’s low on oil which is a pisser and as I had the rebuild I’m surprised it’s low but I don’t know the level it was at when replaced but it’s only done 600 mile since replacing

ideal would be drop it off tomorrow Stu or I’m as well going Castleford to be fair they were Honda I’m sure they have seen a few vfr’s and rvf’s it’s just big shop prices

Exige

Elite Member
Subscriber
If you get chance to ask him if he has any time coming up I can drop it over it might want plugs and air filter and god knows what, I know it’s low on oil which is a pisser and as I had the rebuild I’m surprised it’s low but I don’t know the level it was at when replaced but it’s only done 600 mile since replacing

ideal would be drop it off tomorrow Stu or I’m as well going Castleford to be fair they were Honda I’m sure they have seen a few vfr’s and rvf’s it’s just big shop prices

Give him a call in the morning, tell him I said he'd drop everything and do it :ROFLMAO: worth a try 🤪 what's the rush anyway, is it sold 👀

Dirty Leeds

Elite Member
Subscriber
Give him a call in the morning, tell him I said he'd drop everything and do it :ROFLMAO: worth a try 🤪 what's the rush anyway, is it sold 👀

No it’s just in van at moment be good to get it out

if he’s struggling happy to go Castleford for oil dong then take it to your man for a going over 👍

Exige

Elite Member
Subscriber
No it’s just in van at moment be good to get it out

if he’s struggling happy to go Castleford for oil dong then take it to your man for a going over 👍
He will probably have space for it if you don't need a quick turnaround - why not just top the oil up for now if it's done no miles hardly since the last oil and filter change :unsure:

Dirty Leeds

Elite Member
Subscriber
He will probably have space for it if you don't need a quick turnaround - why not just top the oil up for now if it's done no miles hardly since the last oil and filter change :unsure:
Not in a rush at all just could do with it out the van

Dirty Leeds

Elite Member
Subscriber
Rick is the man for RVF's.
I had this lot done in 2017 so not sure what else is needed at all

I know it’s done 600 mile since but it’s a little sooty at the exhaust and on the reg plate and oil level is below minimum… no oil light on but it does light up and go out on start up… I have had many rvf’s and oil use is never a trait

oh and it’s 63hp not 66 I thought it was
4E60837F-0FDA-4337-81CC-4C6F42E5B464.jpeg
AA2E0367-FF87-4398-83DD-404A931D03DF.jpeg

Last edited:

NoGutsNoGlory

Subscriber

I know it’s done 600 mile since but it’s a little sooty at the exhaust and on the reg plate and oil level is below minimum… no oil light on but it does light up and go out on start up… I have had many rvf’s and oil use is never a trait

View attachment 25579View attachment 25580
The engines are pretty bullet proof so you would be very unlucky if it was burning oil. I tracked mine for 2-3 years and did a few races on it after Ricky tuned it and it never missed a beat.

final_edition

Elite Member
Subscriber
The carbs dont like fuel sitting in them for long periods of time. Best to drain float bowls and run them dry.

Plugs are sensitive to engine stop/starts without being ridden. The bikes dont like starting with wet plugs.

I once stripped a set of rvf carbs to their component parts....never again!

Dirty Leeds

Elite Member
Subscriber
The carbs dont like fuel sitting in them for long periods of time. Best to drain float bowls and run them dry.

Plugs are sensitive to engine stop/starts without being ridden. The bikes dont like starting with wet plugs.

It’s done 13,000 in 25 years

The skitz

Elite Member
Subscriber

View attachment 25579View attachment 25580
Who you trying to kid??? Ride hide Jack up 👀

sev

Subscriber

you are a very brave man.
I salute you.