Finding out first registration in Japan

I imagine a bike manufactured in 1994 was registered in another country before 1999 mate, if it wasn’t I need to change the advert or get it to Sheffield
Its not unheard of were a bike sat in stock for 4 years or even someone's collection before circumstances changed 🤷‍♂️👍
 
Its not unheard of were a bike sat in stock for 4 years or even someone's collection before circumstances changed 🤷‍♂️👍
Absolutely it does happen but these little 400’s were bought by young knee down types, these rvf’s were around £7k in 1994 if you bought new unofficial import I guess so I would be surprised if someone pays that for a 400 to just look at remember Japan had trick nsr250’s, tzr250’s, fzr400, zxr 400, rvf400, cbr 400, vfr400 kr1’s, Rgv Japan only versions in many incarnations for years they were awash with pocket rocket exotics that we had get through grey imports etc obviously we got some official bikes but generally they were jap market, my rvf could have sat unsold but I doubt it as the rvf was to many the one to have despite not been as fast as a vfr 400 or as tuneable apparently it was still the one to have if money allowed
 
Absolutely it does happen but these little 400’s were bought by young knee down types, these rvf’s were around £7k in 1994 if you bought new unofficial import I guess so I would be surprised if someone pays that for a 400 to just look at remember Japan had trick nsr250’s, tzr250’s, fzr400, zxr 400, rvf400, cbr 400, vfr400 kr1’s, Rgv Japan only versions in many incarnations for years they were awash with pocket rocket exotics that we had get through grey imports etc obviously we got some official bikes but generally they were jap market, my rvf could have sat unsold but I doubt it as the rvf was to many the one to have despite not been as fast as a vfr 400 or as tuneable apparently it was still the one to have if money allowed
They handled better was the rumor 👍 everything is possible but looking at the log book it looks very possible 👀 I will be keeping an eye for updates 👀👀
 
Your V5 gives your buyer all the information he needs

Date of 1st registration (anywhere) - 5/2/1999
Date of 1st Registration (UK) - 5/2/1999
Declared NEW at 1st registration.

Your bike has never been registered anywhere else. It has only been registered in the UK. When it was 1st registered it was New.

5/2/1999 is just short of 25 years

Unfortunately it doesn’t get you over the 30 year mark

I do not know if DVLA will give you access to the V55 document used to obtain the 1st registration document. If it was a V55/4 it was a new vehicle. If it was a V55/C it was a used vehicle.

 
Last edited:
Your V5 gives your buyer all the information he needs

Date of 1st registration (anywhere) - 5/2/1999
Date of 1st Registration (UK) - 5/2/1999
Declared NEW at 1st registration.

You bike has never been registered anywhere else. It has only been registered in the UK. When it was 1st registered it was New.

5/2/1999 is just short of 25 years

Unfortunately it doesn’t get you over the 30 year mark

I do not know if DVLA will give you access to the V55 document used to obtain the 1st registration document. If it was a V55/4 it was a new vehicle. If it was a V55/C it was a used vehicle.

Cheers Chris it does say that mate but I thought as it was imported that would be on the logbook as a matter of coarse I’d be keen to see if other owners of imported bikes have it written like that on logbook as before arrival in uk nobody knew it’s history other than year of manufacture
 
Cheers Chris it does say that mate but I thought as it was imported that would be on the logbook as a matter of coarse I’d be keen to see if other owners of imported bikes have it written like that on logbook as before arrival in uk nobody knew it’s history other than year of manufacture
But the dealer declared it new at first registration 👀
 
But the dealer declared it new at first registration 👀
Yes mate they have, I’m not conspiracy they but I just question if it was just a thing dealers did with imports starting afresh in uk?

I’m clueless but I do know if it’s a uk imported bike from new it’s worth more than one that was registered in Japan then uk as them rice eaters hammer them
 
Yes mate they have, I’m not conspiracy they but I just question if it was just a thing dealers did with imports starting afresh in uk?

I’m clueless but I do know if it’s a uk imported bike from new it’s worth more than one that was registered in Japan then uk as them rice eaters hammer them
It must be one of the last registered rvfs if it was new in 99 👌
 
Yes mate they have, I’m not conspiracy they but I just question if it was just a thing dealers did with imports starting afresh in uk?

I’m clueless but I do know if it’s a uk imported bike from new it’s worth more than one that was registered in Japan then uk as them rice eaters hammer them
If it was Japanese used they come with a limiter on top speed 🤷‍♂️ and trying to own a large cc bike back in the 90s was near impossible
 
If it was Japanese used they come with a limiter on top speed 🤷‍♂️ and trying to own a large cc bike back in the 90s was near impossible
It can't have been previously registered as the dealer is obliged by law when selling to declare if new at point of registration.
If not a UK model it would have to go through an SVA inspections as well as the declaration from the dealer. This is what happened on my Tesi due to it being manufactured to an older EU approval, hence needing SVA approval.
The DVLA's - SVA would not allow a used machine to be registered as new, it's part of their process.



f8891ef65e086abc67e5b448acb8bc12.gif
 
It can't have been previously registered as the dealer is obliged by law when selling to declare if new at point of registration.
If not a UK model it would have to go through an SVA inspections as well as the declaration from the dealer. This is what happened on my Tesi due to it being manufactured to an older EU approval, hence needing SVA approval.
The DVLA's - SVA would not allow a used machine to be registered as new, it's part of their process.



View attachment 95439
You are correct son 👍
 
The guy in Spain is wanting to avoid taxation On registering the bike. Classic vehicles in Spain used to be those 25 years and over. This was upped to 30 years and over.
 
The guy in Spain is wanting to avoid taxation On registering the bike. Classic vehicles in Spain used to be those 25 years and over. This was upped to 30 years and over.
Yes mate, it changed to 30 years
I used to deliver bikes to a mate of mine near Valencia and he used to buy old 400 cc bikes out of the uk that were near 30 year old so he could sell relatively quickly

He died New Year’s Eve unfortunately I bloody loved the old bugger … that’s two old mates within 4 months who I loved gone
 
The guy in Spain is wanting to avoid taxation On registering the bike. Classic vehicles in Spain used to be those 25 years and over. This was upped to 30 years and over.
Chris I think my bike has a bit more value now not loads but enough for
Me to take stock and not rush it off I have removed the advert yet again to fully understand things, why should I undersell it? It needs a standard exhaust to maximise its value
 
I think you are right. My mate’s wife had an RVF400. He had a 749s. We used to go to MotoGP races in Europe on the bikes. I had a 999, one mate had a Boxer Cup Rep and another mate had a CBR600RR. Whenever we parked the bikes up the crowd always gathered around the RVF400. Some bikes are keepers.
 
I think you are right. My mate’s wife had an RVF400. He had a 749s. We used to go to MotoGP races in Europe on the bikes. I had a 999, one mate had a Boxer Cup Rep and another mate had a CBR600RR. Whenever we parked the bikes up the crowd always gathered around the RVF400. Some bikes are keepers.
Cheers Chris, I love this bike more than any other or possibly the same as the 848 checa rep I had but having the stroke made me do stupid shit and sold the 848 I don’t want to to mess this up.
 
Cheers Chris it does say that mate but I thought as it was imported that would be on the logbook as a matter of coarse I’d be keen to see if other owners of imported bikes have it written like that on logbook as before arrival in uk nobody knew it’s history other than year of manufacture
My imported Honda 250 log book states, Date of first registration and underneath it says Date of first registration in the UK, both dates are the same. There is no mention of the bike being an import, the registration number is age related to the date of manufacture not the date of registration. Its a 1983 reg number (Y) but was registered in October 2015.
 
My imported Honda 250 log book states, Date of first registration and underneath it says Date of first registration in the UK, both dates are the same. There is no mention of the bike being an import, the registration number is age related to the date of manufacture not the date of registration. Its a 1983 reg number (Y) but was registered in October 2015.
Yes mine says new at first registration in uk which is the good bit, I spoke last night to an expert on the rvf he looked at video and sent a lot of pictures and next week I’ll take the bike down to him do go over it but he says from what he sees it’s a good one it’s probably had paint on the tank but he says it has a lot going for it and the parts are drying up and values are going up, mine had an engine refresh and he was shocked all Honda parts were sourced for it but that was 5 years ago… my reg is DLZ 7524 Irish reg not sure what year that means in Ireland.
 
My imported Honda 250 log book states, Date of first registration and underneath it says Date of first registration in the UK, both dates are the same. There is no mention of the bike being an import, the registration number is age related to the date of manufacture not the date of registration. Its a 1983 reg number (Y) but was registered in October 2015.
So it does not say used overseas can you get away with it been a uk bike? Probably Speedo issue but what else? Maybe colours
 
Last edited:
So it does not say used overseas can you get away with it been a uk bike? Probably Speedo issue but what else? Maybe colours
My log book does not mention being an import or used overseas, it has notes on the front and bottom of the log book.
No 1 Registered Keeper.
No 2 Previous registered keeper None.
No 3 Special notes. Was registered or used. Declared Manufactured 1983
 
My log book does not mention being an import or used overseas, it has notes on the front and bottom of the log book.
No 1 Registered Keeper.
No 2 Previous registered keeper None.
No 3 Special notes. Was registered or used. Declared Manufactured 1983
Bonus?
 
Back
Top Bottom