Ducati Multistretta 1098S

Bodywork will be ready for collection on Friday.

I am tumescent with anticipation.

Wiring loom is about half done. Forks have been treated to new seals and oil, as well as some proper travel indicators, by @Nelly.

Front end is back together but there's more brake drag than I remembered. There's new pads to go in the front so a good clean and piston push back, plus some careful tightening of front axle/pinch bolts should hopefully sort it out.

Bodywork will be ready for collection on Friday.

I am tumescent with anticipation.

Wiring loom is about half done. Forks have been treated to new seals and oil, as well as some proper travel indicators, by @Nelly.

Front end is back together but there's more brake drag than I remembered. There's new pads to go in the front so a good clean and piston push back, plus some careful tightening of front axle/pinch bolts should hopefully sort it out.
We are waiting in anticipation too, for more photos and for a report of the first ride out, and a report about that time that the throttle will be opened fully in anger😇

Bodywork back from paint....

Just read this through, what an epic build, you my friend have some skills combined with the determination and patience of jobe - fantastic, Looking forward to hear how it goes once you get to ride it.

What a great thread. Amazing skill and patience and creating thinking / trouble shooting.

How long until ready for the road?

Reactions: JAT
What a great thread. Amazing skill and patience and creating thinking / trouble shooting.

How long until ready for the road?
Another week or so to complete the wiring harness.

Then it gets put together enough for the engine - fingers crossed - to run and it gets taken to @Nelly for a cold sensor check and general snagging and, if everything checks out ok, attempting to start it.

Once it's starting and running with no faults, but not yet ridden, it goes for an MOT.

Then it needs to got to BSD for remapping as the different pistons, injectors, air box, exhaust etc. will have the standard 1098 mapping way out I'd imagine.

Maybe 6 weeks until it's legally on the road and can be unleashed with no worries.

Then I'll put a good few hundred miles on it, staying very local in case of problems, to shake it down and find any niggles that need addressing before I really let rip further afield...

Another week or so to complete the wiring harness.

Then it gets put together enough for the engine - fingers crossed - to run and it gets taken to @Nelly for a cold sensor check and general snagging and, if everything checks out ok, attempting to start it.

Once it's starting and running with no faults, but not yet ridden, it goes for an MOT.

Then it needs to got to BSD for remapping as the different pistons, injectors, air box, exhaust etc. will have the standard 1098 mapping way out I'd imagine.

Maybe 6 weeks until it's legally on the road and can be unleashed with no worries.

Then I'll put a good few hundred miles on it, staying very local in case of problems, to shake it down and find any niggles that need addressing before I really let rip further afield...
Although this plan may be slightly fucked as the front tank mount I made is currently trapped, unplated, - with a load of fittings from work - at our normal platers in Sheffield who have had to shut down for the foreseeable future due to a COVID outbreak in their workforce.

Although this plan may be slightly fucked as the front tank mount I made is currently trapped, unplated, - with a load of fittings from work - at our normal platers in Sheffield who have had to shut down for the foreseeable future due to a COVID outbreak in their workforce.
Oh poo 🤔

The tank front mount that was stuck at the plating company in Sheffield, due to them shutting as a result of a covid outbreak, is now back in my possession replete with a shiny YZP finish.

Wiring loom is finished....

It took two 1098 looms, one original multistrada loom, loads of different coloured wire and about fifty cut and splice joins.

Drop it back into the bike, connect it all up and turn the ignition and hope it doesn't burst into flames. I need to nip over to see a mate and make use of his crimping tools to shorten the main power supply lead to the solenoid and then in, theory, it's ready to start.

Got a coolant leak - weeping from the water pump cover - to sort and then it's over to @Nelly for a cold diagnostics check and then some fuel in the tank and maybe it starting. Next week hopefully....

Can you record the conversation with the insurance broker please when he asks you the question can you please list all modifications , if any sir, 😇😇😂😂😂, your question to him? Have you got your sandwiches and a bottle of water on your desk? 😂😂😂🤣
Already done mate. There was an initial slight misunderstanding regarding the cost of replacing the tank (I said £7,000, they thought that was a mistake and quoted at £700) which meant the first quote came back at the same price as the insurance before it was modified. I thought long and hard about whether to question this quote, as there was no way all the modifications didn't push the insurance up.

Eventually I spoke to them, ran through all the details and discovered the error with the tank, They correct that and the new quote was a whole £70 a year more.

SOLD!

That's all modifications declared and a replacement value equivalent to paying someone to build it. It's been insured in the modified state for at least 2 years in case it got nicked.

Already done mate. There was an initial slight misunderstanding regarding the cost of replacing the tank (I said £7,000, they thought that was a mistake and quoted at £700) which meant the first quote came back at the same price as the insurance before it was modified. I thought long and hard about whether to question this quote, as there was no way all the modifications didn't push the insurance up.

Eventually I spoke to them, ran through all the details and discovered the error with the tank, They correct that and the new quote was a whole £70 a year more.

SOLD!

That's all modifications declared and a replacement value equivalent to paying someone to build it. It's been insured in the modified state for at least 2 years in case it got nicked.
Fab , may I ask who you used for insurance?

How were they about the fitment of the 1098 engine and extreme frame modifications?
No problem with the 1098 engine, it's a 20cc capacity increase as far as they were concerned. The modifications to the frame hardly count as "extreme", all of the major structural elements of the frame are untouched, the headstock is untouched, a couple of bracing structs have been cut out and replaced and one set of engine mounts have been moved 10mm or thereabouts.

No engineers report asked for.

I've been very, very careful to describe all of the modifications and offered to send them loads of photo's from throughout the build but they were happy with the information I gave them over the phone.

I would count them as major but the office boy at the end of the phone must know better

Modifying or removing bracing struts also frame to swingarm/engine mounts are critical frame elements. WCP could be the one who welded it all back together, plus the unknown on how they will react with a higher hp engine.

Not having a pop, more interested as have a 1198 engine with a 1088RS swingarm in a Monster S4 that will need to be insured at some point.

I would count them as major but the office boy at the end of the phone must know better

Modifying or removing bracing struts also frame to swingarm/engine mounts are critical frame elements. WCP could be the one who welded it all back together, plus the unknown on how they will react with a higher hp engine.

Not having a pop, more interested as have a 1198 engine with a 1088RS swingarm in a Monster S4 that will need to be insured at some point.
Are you casting aspersions upon my welding skills 😡?

😉

Whilst I agree with you FE if the insurer has accepted it that’s the main thing. Regardless of whether they’re right or wrong they accepted the risk, took the money and thus would have to cover any (hopefully none) claim. No get out clause for undeclared modifications for them.

May be worth you trying the same form when the time comes.

Are you casting aspersions upon my welding skills 😡?

😉

Whilst I agree with you FE if the insurer has accepted it that’s the main thing. Regardless of whether they’re right or wrong they accepted the risk, took the money and thus would have to cover any (hopefully none) claim. No get out clause for undeclared modifications for them.

May be worth you trying the same form when the time comes.
You can't claim if you're dead because the bike went one way and the swingarm another. Hopefully the engine won't wipe out a school kid on the pavement.

All this stuff has serious implications.

You can't claim if you're dead because the bike went one way and the swingarm another. Hopefully the engine won't wipe out a school kid on the pavement.

All this stuff has serious implications.

How is the swingarm going to separate from the frame? The swingarm pivot pin is through the crankcases as well as the frame, for such a thing to happen the engine either has to come out of the frame or the crankcases fail catastrophically.

On a bike where the swingarm pivot is just attached the to the frame I'd agree it was significant, but not on this.

The headstock? Absolutely, because there's no secondary retention. But that's one of the reasons I left the headstock alone ( I did contemplate a 748/916 style headstock with an eccentric insert)....

I had a 749 that had its headstock cut off and replaced at a different angle.

Everything was in component form at one point. It's who does the modifications and the standard to which it is done.

For the insurers not to ask for an engineers report for the work done surprises me. I am amazed that they took on such an unknown liability.

Not to undermine the work you have completed.

I would be looking to submit one just to cover yourself.

Having a mate who's bike killed someone on the road and the devastating effect on all involved, being totally legal and fully covered was one of the saving graces for him.

His bike was impounded for years and inspected.

I had a 749 that had its headstock cut off and replaced at a different angle.

Everything was in component form at one point. It's who does the modifications and the standard to which it is done.

For the insurers not to ask for an engineers report for the work done surprises me. I am amazed that they took on such an unknown liability.

Not to undermine the work you have completed.

I would be looking to submit one just to cover yourself.

Having a mate who's bike killed someone on the road and the devastating effect on all involved, being totally legal and fully covered was one of the saving graces for him.

His bike was impounded for years and inspected.
As an engineer in the rail industry every change that I make to a train that has potential to impact safety has to be assessed to determine its "significance". It's required by law to be done and it has to be done in accordance with national technical and safety rules, following a procedure laid out in a standard and is the "CSM-RA" (common safety method for risk assessment) and this process is what helps make the UK's railway one of the safest in the world.

The assessment considers "Consequence", "Novelty", "Complexity","Reversability", "Monitoring" & "Additionality".

I applied the same logic to the bike and the modifications made to the frame and it's mode assuredly a "non-significant" change. The modifications I have made will NOT cause structural failure of the frame and the loss of control of the bike so the consequence of failure is minimal. It's not novel, plenty of people have modified Ducati frames in similar, or even identical, ways and these bikes are still being ridden without failure. It's not complex. It can be reversed. It can, and will be, monitored by simple visual inspection and there is no additionality.

Now I've done that, obviously the insurers haven't, but I am quite happy that I have met all reasonable expectations to ensure the safety of myself and the general public and I don't need to fuck around with engineer's reports and the like.

I can appreciate your depth of feeling as a result of your mate's experience but my position is based upon one of emotionless, fact based, analysis.

Back