Did you try both the 749 and 999

Noobie

Elite Member
Subscriber
I wondered if any of you had tried both of these and if you decided on one over the other, which one did you choose and why?

Only tried my 749. Test rode it in December in the rain on very dodgy tyres, hated it, but still bought it 🤔.
I keep looking at the 924cc big bore kit for a 749, might be a plan if I ever need a top end strip down.

No, rather stupidly I’ve never tried the higher power ones in the range and always regretted it, although the 749 was my first ever bike so probably a good idea. I still feel like the poor relation now when a 1098/1198 pulls up next to my 848. I definitely don’t need the power but it’s the fear of missing out!

Only tried my 749. Test rode it in December in the rain on very dodgy tyres, hated it, but still bought it 🤔.
I keep looking at the 924cc big bore kit for a 749, might be a plan if I ever need a top end strip down.
Do it when your valves need doing as the heads need to come off anyways :)

No, rather stupidly I’ve never tried the higher power ones in the range and always regretted it, although the 749 was my first ever bike so probably a good idea. I still feel like the poor relation now when a 1098/1198 pulls up next to my 848. I definitely don’t need the power but it’s the fear of missing out!
the 848 has a higher rear height so you might be missing out on a slower turning missile? Possibly ... 848 brilliant bikes

It's a funny old thing. When the 999/749 came out, I was in the camp of hating it with a passion because mostly it wasn't as beautifully styled as the 916. Some years later, I now find it, particularly in the black glossy paint, to be quiet lovely.

It's a funny old thing. When the 999/749 came out, I was in the camp of hating it with a passion because mostly it wasn't as beautifully styled as the 916. Some years later, I now find it, particularly in the black glossy paint, to be quiet lovely.
best thing about them is there there's not many around, as all you 916 owners had your eyeballs painted on at the time.. (That and exige owns most of them now as he hoovers them up like sweets to control the market 🤣)
Bonkers to think that the first year of 1098 sold more units than the entire production run of the 999. Probably because of the big ghey swingarm.

Last edited:
I do agree Noobs, at the time the design was, compared to the 916, quite radical. Time has been kind to 999 and now I too find it quite beautiful.

No it’s a fast one - red 🤣
nay nay and thrice nay... big ones in red, wee ones in yellow - thems the rules.

The red 748 and 749's were made for people that wanted a 916 or a 999 but couldn't afford one or were far too mary sue.
The yellow 748 and 749's were for people that wanted a 748 or 749 as they 'got' them and understood what a different flavour of bike they were.

... dontcha know...

the 848 has a higher rear height so you might be missing out on a slower turning missile? Possibly ... 848 brilliant bikes
Sorry that's tosh! for a start the std 848 had a fixed rear ride height adjuster and if you fitted an adjustable tie rod it like all Ducatis can be whatever ride height you want it to be....
secondly the geometry of the 748 996 998 749 848 999 1098 1198 can all be replicated the same including rear ride height.......

Sorry that's tosh! for a start the std 848 had a fixed rear ride height adjuster and if you fitted an adjustable tie rod it like all Ducatis can be whatever ride height you want it to be....
secondly the geometry of the 748 996 998 749 848 999 1098 1198 can all be replicated the same including rear ride height.......
The rear height of the 848 is taller than 1098 and 1198 I think that’s all I said

The rear height of the 848 is taller than 1098 and 1198 I think that’s all I said
In reference to speed of turning...ie geometry
Hey ho get a slack twat on it that’ll sort it...

It matter not to me the 848. Didn’t fit in ..not super sport not a super bike I’d spend my money on a 999 instead...

179861DE-F46E-4386-92BC-052F397EAB4F.jpeg

Back