A good cross-border circuit

borderduc

Desmodromically delirious
Not really one for sports bikes but great for STs and Multis as it's largely B roads.

B709 Selkirk-Langholm (very scenic quiet road)
Langholm-Newcastleton (a roller coaster with aerobatics if desired !)
Newcastleton-Kielder-Bellingham via B6357 (suberb for a B road)
Bellingham-Otterburn B6320
Otterburn-Rothbury (looks like a bikers' gathering place)-Wooler-Coldstream-Greenlaw-Lauder-Stow-Clovenfords-Selkirk.

Superb !

Spud Raver

Does it go anywhere near Glentress for brekkie? ;)

Last weekend was superb as it was on some roads and some places Ive never been, and Ive benn on a few due to my job, St Marys Loch is gorgeous and well worth a visit even in a car. :thumbs:

rockjock620

I really can't get the hang of this "sportsbikes for this road" and "multis for that road" - please, can't you ride any bike anywhere and just enjoy it! My 996 does it all, all day, two up and I'm always happy. Or am I too easily pleased? Town work would be a crock of @@@@, but then it would be in/on any form of transport.

Spud Raver

So do I........but Ive been on some roads on the 749 and Ive counted the miles down till the thing ended and got on to something new.

rockjock620

nah, evry corner's a treat, evry bump's a challenge, evry apex a dream.......evry ride an experience.......wait till you do the dalesman's!

Gizmo

Forum Geek
rockjock620 said:
I really can't get the hang of this "sportsbikes for this road" and "multis for that road" - please, can't you ride any bike anywhere and just enjoy it! My 996 does it all, all day, two up and I'm always happy. Or am I too easily pleased? Town work would be a crock of @@@@, but then it would be in/on any form of transport.

too easily pleased Pete :D:D, i love the multi on bumpy b roads it soaks it all up without me firing out of the saddle, yesterday back on the 999 was a revelation though, could hold a line, turn when i wanted and just play. I'd have hated it last week on the Selkirk/Langholm road though, 2 up and i kept watching Ian in my mirrors, firing up into air then back down, thats when i was glad i was on multi :D I can ride both bikes anywhere and enjoy touring on the 999 or scratching on the multi but both have roads they perform a little better on. Still can't decide which one i'd keep if i could only have one though :eek:

Nimue

borderduc said:
Not really one for sports bikes but great for STs and Multis as it's largely B roads.

B709 Selkirk-Langholm (very scenic quiet road)
Langholm-Newcastleton (a roller coaster with aerobatics if desired !)
Newcastleton-Kielder-Bellingham via B6357 (suberb for a B road)
Bellingham-Otterburn B6320
Otterburn-Rothbury (looks like a bikers' gathering place)-Wooler-Coldstream-Greenlaw-Lauder-Stow-Clovenfords-Selkirk.

Superb !
Rothbury is getting to be a really good bikers place, I get up there most weekends. The cafe there is good and welcomes bikers too - none of that turned up nose stuff when we roll up with dirty boots and helmet hair (OK, so I speak for myself here ...)

borderduc

Desmodromically delirious
Davieravie said:
Does it go anywhere near Glentress for brekkie? ;)

Last weekend was superb as it was on some roads and some places Ive never been, and Ive benn on a few due to my job, St Marys Loch is gorgeous and well worth a visit even in a car. :thumbs:

Davie, you'll love the planned Midgie Masher route in August, then. In the mean time it sounds like we'll need to get you out and about Lothians and Borders. Next time you finish early and it's sunny give me a bell.

john

I'm with rockjock on this. But maybe next stop is Maxton to revalve forks etc. Isn't it amazing though passing from Northumberland to Scotland, the roads don't half get smoother.

Steve748

john said:
I'm with rockjock on this. But maybe next stop is Maxton to revalve forks etc. Isn't it amazing though passing from Northumberland to Scotland, the roads don't half get smoother.
You want to try going into Wales the roads there are like racetrack smooth!
When you are leaving Wales and coming back into England there is a sign that says 'Welcome to England' and underneath 'and crap roadsurfaces:mad: '

rockjock620

steve748 said:
You want to try going into Wales the roads there are like racetrack smooth!
When you are leaving Wales and coming back into England there is a sign that says 'Welcome to England' and underneath 'and crap roadsurfaces:mad: '

and the coppers are evil @@@@@@@s and the locals are openly hostile and suddenly Yorkshire is great again!