The 748 Lives!

Will give it a whack tomorrow whilst powering it up. If all else fails I'll drop you a message
It will probably work, gave my zero mile 1999 R6 pump a tap when recommissioning it to sell the other month and it instantly whirred into action - that's after having only started once 10 years ago in it's 22 year life.
If it has sat with fuel in be prepared to flush it through with a gravity fed tube / funnel if it spins.

It will probably work, gave my zero mile 1999 R6 pump a tap when recommissioning it to sell the other month and it instantly whirred into action - that's after having only started once 10 years ago in it's 22 year life.
If it has sat with fuel in be prepared to flush it through with a gravity fed tube / funnel if it spins.
OK, tried powering it up and giving it a whack a few times with a wooden mallet to no avail. It still will not prime. Is it worth leaving it in fresh fuel to try and ease it up? or some other cleaner/lubricant to clean it out? Any thoughts would be welcome before I hit buy it now on ebay for a new replacement one.

Many thanks

Keith

P.S. I have yet to put a multi meter across the 12v poles on the wiring as a just in case there is a deeper, darker issue, thats a job for tomorrow

OK, tried powering it up and giving it a whack a few times with a wooden mallet to no avail. It still will not prime. Is it worth leaving it in fresh fuel to try and ease it up? or some other cleaner/lubricant to clean it out? Any thoughts would be welcome before I hit buy it now on ebay for a new replacement one.

Many thanks

Keith

P.S. I have yet to put a multi meter across the 12v poles on the wiring as a just in case there is a deeper, darker issue, thats a job for tomorrow
I was just going to say have you removed it and powered it direct from a battery to make sure it's the fuel pump is stuck :unsure:

Many thanks

Keith

Carb cleaner 👍 may help ease it if stuck

News update. Pump works fine across 12v battery terminals direct. Reconnected the assembly to the bike and no priming noise.

It seems to be a wiring/immobiliser gremlin which is a bit beyond my skills. Looks like it's time to deliver it to the experts at the local bike garage to hunt it down for me (whilst I vanish to Saudi and UAE over the next three weeks).

So close but so far 😔

News update. Pump works fine across 12v battery terminals direct. Reconnected the assembly to the bike and no priming noise.

It seems to be a wiring/immobiliser gremlin which is a bit beyond my skills. Looks like it's time to deliver it to the experts at the local bike garage to hunt it down for me (whilst I vanish to Saudi and UAE over the next three weeks).

So close but so far 😔
There’s no immobiliser on these other than what’s added as an after market alarm which you’ve had removed and has the bike running since iirc.

Just a thought. Have you tried bridging the two black wires that went to/from the alarm LED? It could be, on the off-chance, the alarm immobiliser circuit which was bridged when the alarm (but not all it’s wiring) was removed needs a complete circuit to maintain continuity and the LED no longer being connected is breaking it. For the sake of a paper clip and 5mins it’s worth trying. Otherwise it’s out with the multimeter and tracing the fuel pump circuit from battery to earth.

There’s no immobiliser on these other than what’s added as an after market alarm which you’ve had removed and has the bike running since iirc.

Just a thought. Have you tried bridging the two black wires that went to/from the alarm LED? It could be, on the off-chance, the alarm immobiliser circuit which was bridged when the alarm (but not all it’s wiring) was removed needs a complete circuit to maintain continuity and the LED no longer being connected is breaking it. For the sake of a paper clip and 5mins it’s worth trying. Otherwise it’s out with the multimeter and tracing the fuel pump circuit from battery to earth.
I shall give that a look tomorrow. I was speaking to my Pa earlier (an avid collector of velocette's, singles and boxer LE's) and after a half hour on facetime we both think its where the datatag alarm was taken out, maybe when I removed the loom it broke a connection that was made.

Try and try again they say.

Also, the wire diagram in Haynes for my "2001" does not fit. All the wires are totally different colours. It's more a 1996 loom, but then the colours of the wires don't match.

I will crack the problem, with a bloody large hammer if needs be 😂

After muchos thoughts and speaking to my mate Jay this savvo who runs Road and Race in Telford (with multiple cups of tea), we may have stumbled upon the issue. Where the alarm was taken out, is also where the rear brake wires run into. Neither are working, which suggests I have damaged an earth that has been re-connected after the alarm removal during faffing to get the loom to fit correctly after the frame re-spray.

Lunch break tomorrow is to run an earth direct from the fuel pump assembly ground to the battery then turn it over. Fingers crossed this will work and the loom just needs the protective tape taking off and finding the connection issue. If not, then Jay can just keep it, fix it, MOT it and I'll just ride it :D

He is going to Dyno it so I can see how my old girl behaves. I replaced the stock exhausts with 50mm carbon termis and have the standard chip and a race eprom chip for the 50mm pipes. He's going to do a run on both chips and I'll post results here (after I get the fuel pump working!)

Alas, Saudi and UAE are calling on Thursday for a few weeks so I hope I get it running!

Hi all from some where on the West Coast of Saudi.

Whilst on a 1300km road trip between sites, I need a few things more for my 748 (other than getting the fuel pump to start when I am home).

Ive purchased a non suicide stand plate but need a standard side spring as the bike had a 15mm plumping pipe clip to hold the stand up 😳

I've looked on ebay but am struggling to find one without the part number.

Any help would be appreciated whilst I continue to stare at sand and mountains thinking about the spannering I could be doing at home 😆

Many thanks

Keith

Hi all from some where on the West Coast of Saudi.

Whilst on a 1300km road trip between sites, I need a few things more for my 748 (other than getting the fuel pump to start when I am home).

Ive purchased a non suicide stand plate but need a standard side spring as the bike had a 15mm plumping pipe clip to hold the stand up 😳

I've looked on ebay but am struggling to find one without the part number.

Any help would be appreciated whilst I continue to stare at sand and mountains thinking about the spannering I could be doing at home 😆

Many thanks

Keith
morning what about

So, a short update on the 748....

I have been away on the West Coast of Saudi for a bit of a work's road trip so it gave me time away from the bike to work through why the blooming fuel pump wasn't priming. As you guys know, I have worked through everything but with no success. So, Saturday I decided to finger walk the loom from start to end on every plug, earth and relay to see if I could find the issue.

In doing so, I couldn't figure out why the rear brake (two pin plug) was really tight from the loom where it sits under the rear subframe before heading behind the airbox fairing on the left hand side. I never remembered it being like this so I was trying to get some extra millimetres on the loom by re-arranging relay wires, earth positioning etc. and to my surprise behind the fuse panel, there was another 2 pin plug which I had missed. Being slightly perplexed about this (and that the rear brake wasn't lighting up when pressed) I swapped them over and the light starts working. Happy Days, but still no fuel pump :(

This additional two pin plug I was left with was not in the Haynes manual and not in the ducati factory manual. So a quick search online for "two pin plug brown white wires ducati 748" revealed that it was a plug put in by Ducati for a 3rd party immobiliser. I bridged it with a bit of electrical wire as described on another forum and hey presto, the fuel pump primed!!!!!!

After re-assembling the tank with the fuel pump, priming it a few times, I pressed the start button and it was music to my ears with the new 50mm termi's bellowing out :D

Thank you all for you help and experience in trying to figure the issue out and hopefully see you somewhere for a brew and a wedge of cake.

Keith

P.S. As we all know the pain of the O-Ring on the fuel pump assembly getting nicked when putting it back together, I watched a youtube video where the guy put some longer M6 bolts into to main tank bolt holes and had a nut/washer on the bolt which he tightened up one turn at a time. Once fully seated, you just undo the bolt and replace with the actual fuel tank bolts. Super simple and super fast compared to the last one I replaced on my ST4S which pi**ed fuel everywhere a few times before I got it right.

So, a short update on the 748....

I have been away on the West Coast of Saudi for a bit of a work's road trip so it gave me time away from the bike to work through why the blooming fuel pump wasn't priming. As you guys know, I have worked through everything but with no success. So, Saturday I decided to finger walk the loom from start to end on every plug, earth and relay to see if I could find the issue.

In doing so, I couldn't figure out why the rear brake (two pin plug) was really tight from the loom where it sits under the rear subframe before heading behind the airbox fairing on the left hand side. I never remembered it being like this so I was trying to get some extra millimetres on the loom by re-arranging relay wires, earth positioning etc. and to my surprise behind the fuse panel, there was another 2 pin plug which I had missed. Being slightly perplexed about this (and that the rear brake wasn't lighting up when pressed) I swapped them over and the light starts working. Happy Days, but still no fuel pump :(

This additional two pin plug I was left with was not in the Haynes manual and not in the ducati factory manual. So a quick search online for "two pin plug brown white wires ducati 748" revealed that it was a plug put in by Ducati for a 3rd party immobiliser. I bridged it with a bit of electrical wire as described on another forum and hey presto, the fuel pump primed!!!!!!

After re-assembling the tank with the fuel pump, priming it a few times, I pressed the start button and it was music to my ears with the new 50mm termi's bellowing out :D

Thank you all for you help and experience in trying to figure the issue out and hopefully see you somewhere for a brew and a wedge of cake.

Keith

P.S. As we all know the pain of the O-Ring on the fuel pump assembly getting nicked when putting it back together, I watched a youtube video where the guy put some longer M6 bolts into to main tank bolt holes and had a nut/washer on the bolt which he tightened up one turn at a time. Once fully seated, you just undo the bolt and replace with the actual fuel tank bolts. Super simple and super fast compared to the last one I replaced on my ST4S which pi**ed fuel everywhere a few times before I got it right.
Nice one dude, i had almost the same problem with my 996, i removed the highly irritating alarm system and once done the fucking fuel pump wouldn't prime, then with some help when i was on Mordor(never again!!) i was told about the same thing with said plug, bridged it with some wire taped it up and hey presto, sorted!!
Now if this wasn't pointed out i don't think i would have found it and i would have no fucking hair!!:ROFLMAO:

Nice one dude, i had almost the same problem with my 996, i removed the highly irritating alarm system and once done the fucking fuel pump wouldn't prime, then with some help when i was on Mordor(never again!!) i was told about the same thing with said plug, bridged it with some wire taped it up and hey presto, sorted!!
Now if this wasn't pointed out i don't think i would have found it and i would have no fucking hair!!:ROFLMAO:
Honestly mate, if I hadn't decided to try and make some slack on the loom, I would have never found the solution. I think one of the spanners I lobbed at the garage wall left an imprint in it at one point when I lost my rag :D

I must be a lucky fekker as I've not had any bother with the fuel pump o ring, no need for long bolts just lube, squeeze and tighten - I bet next time I piss fuel everywhere 🤣
I'm having another go at getting mine in, doing it tomorrow though it's going to be mild, it's fucking freezing today.
I have to go for a blood test at two then i'm going for a blast somewhere, probably the usual, don't care i need a Ducati hit!!

Oh yes, it was you @West Cork Paul, nice one that was(y).

Oh yes, it was you @West Cork Paul, nice one that was(y).
HTH.

I thnik I mentioned it to Keith as well but if the connection is well hidden, well.......

I learned through experience when I disconnected the Datatool on my 748, it took me ages to track it down. The thing cuts into two circuits when installed, fuel pump and sparks, both are reconnected within the alarm itself so remove the alarm and the original connections have to be made good again.

So you knew the issue but didn’t bother to tell Keith!!
What a Guinness!

It certianly shows that if you have an alarm on a bike and you no longer want it, don't rip it out till you've checked you tube first as many can be left on with a simple bypass.

It certianly shows that if you have an alarm on a bike and you no longer want it, don't rip it out till you've checked you tube first as many can be left on with a simple bypass.
I hate the fucking thing's, my 900ie had one that was wired into the loom, it was a fucking nightmare to get out, then the fucking 996 had one that came straight out, they are fucking useless IMO.
I would rather have a fuck off chain and disc lock, i also use a one of these:
1644331899360.png

Last edited:
Back